Are you looking for the best gifts for surfers? Does your loved one have it all?
My surfer partner does. I feel like he always beats me to the punch and buys anything he needs, leaving me with very few options for gifts. I decided to get him something epic this year, something surfer-themed, something he would love.
Surfers are a unique breed who spend a lot of time out there alone on the waves. But this year I want my surfer to know how important it is to me that he’s enjoying his much-needed downtime surfing by getting him an epic surfer present he’ll love.
I’ve looked at both luxury items and budget-friendly options in this list, so I’m sure you’ll find something too!
Check out my top picks and make your loved one feel extra special with one of the best surfer gifts below!
My Favourite Surfer Gifts
Since my husband isn’t a huge surfer, I thought he’d like this personalized mug to bring the surfer in him into the kitchen!
I also thought he’d love a KingsTrekk Waterproof backpack. It’s the ultimate cool piece of equipment off the waves, and he loves getting backpacks. It’s also of incredible quality for an amazing price, and I like getting useful gifts, so this was perfect in my books!
My son who is 7 also started surfing this year, and happily rented a board and went out a few times with his dad. I decided to commemorate and remind him of his new surfer status with this great custom engraved surfer light. I’m convinced he’ll love it!
He is also lego crazy, so I also got him this really cool Lego surfer kit which should keep him busy for at least a few afternoons.
The 39 Best Gifts for Surfers
- The bag is 100% waterproof so your clothes, phone, and wallet don’t get wet.
- The TPU material is very friction resistant and doesn’t crack easily, which means that it will look new for longer and won’t crack from weathering the elements.
- It’s small at 20 liters and only weighs a little over 1.5 lbs, which means it’s a perfect light carry-on for the traveling surfer.
- It’s got a quick-drying, breathable, padded back, comfortable straps, and a detachable waist belt for the most comfortable fit possible.
- It’s not a dry bag, so not as foolproof, but it has compartments for organizing your stuff better. It also doesn’t fit a full-sized laptop, but a tablet fits perfectly.
- Uses magnetic technology which overwhelms sharks’ electroreceptors and turns them away from you.
- Simple, safe technology with no batteries means no charging
- soft silicone band and stainless steel for enhanced comfort and durability
- Has won several prestigious awards for design and innovation
- From reviews, I got that most people aren’t sure of the effectiveness of the product since they’ve never been around a shark, but continue to use and buy the product because it gives them peace of mind when in the ocean. Something to think about!
- At a little under 300 dollars, this sturdy piece of equipment is a steal since it makes such great quality videos
- 30% longer battery life (about an hour and a half) so you can stay in the water longer
- 20 MP means super crisp, pro-quality video
- A rear touch screen with intuitive camera control means easy use even for a newbie
- Better video stabilization means crazy smooth footage the first time around
- Touch screen response could be better, but can’t really ask for the moon at this price
- It beeps when using the controls- some people really don’t like this but say it’s an excellent purchase
- Doesn’t come with a memory card, so make sure you order one separate
- Made of plastic with a special anti-slip surface so you don’t slip while training and can use it with or without shoes
- The roller is made of soft PVC which means it’s easy on all kinds of different flooring and won’t scratch
- Magnetic stoppers make adjustments a snap and make learning a progression for beginners and a challenge for more advanced users
- Great price-quality ratio! This is one of the better priced boards
- Buyers really like the sturdiness and functionality of the design
- Not recommended for those with knee problems.
- Composite frame for a more durable pair of sunglasses
- Polarized lenses mean that they reduce glare, especially on the water
- Antifog tense treatment so leaving the air-conditioned car on a hot day doesn’t fog your lenses
- Very light and they float, which means the sea will not swallow these up
- Although most people don’t report this, when they do break, the arms seem to be the weak point
- Waterproof as well as scratch and shock-resistant watch that will allow you to take it anywhere – really!
- Records the number of waves surfed, maximum speed, and distance so you can collect data on your surf session
- tide data lets you stay up to date on ocean conditions so you always know the best time to get on your board
- This watch is the end-all and be-all for outdoor enthusiasts and has a GPS so you never get lost
- It will track biometric data too such as heart rate, sleep, and respiration so you can track your daily activity.
- You can connect it to your phone to receive notifications
- It’s small so doesn’t get caught on anything and looks rugged, yet retro stylish
- The size of the text on the watch face is small, which means that if you don’t have your reading glasses it can be difficult to see
- You need to charge this watch, like a phone, although it will charge from solar energy when in direct sunlight
- If you hook up all the different notifications the battery only lasts about 5 days, so only activate those that you’re interested in seeing regularly during the day
- From reviews, it seems the watch works really well for about 2 years, then starts to have connectivity issues. Garmin will swap it out for a refurbished one though
- The strap isn’t made for very big wrists, so may not be for everyone
- UPF sunprotection of 50 so your surfer doesn’t get burned while they surf
- machine washable for easy maintenance
- Chlorine resistant so it can be used in the pool too
- It seems from the reviews that after several washings the logo starts to peel off, so machine wash sparingly.
- Epoxy Resin Kit which cures in the sunshine with high durability which means your fix will last
- Low odor during curing so you don’t keel over from the smell
- Lots of working time so you have time to get the shape right before it starts to harden since it only hardens once put in the sun
- eco-friendly so you don’t harm the environment
- UV stabilized so it doesn’t yellow over time
- This stuff works really well, but you have to use it on a sunny day, or else it won’t cure.
- heavy-duty, all-purpose tape that is weatherproof, air-tight, and crystal clear, so you can patch up your dinged board on the beach in a pinch and surf a few more hours
- Can be torn by hand for easy handling on the beach
- None – this is a must-have surfer present for someone who wants to temporarily seal their dinged board and keep surfing a little longer
- The waterproof membrane blocks the water but allows the sound to come through so you can hear what’s happening around you.
- Comes with 2 sizes of ear tips and ear hooks so they can fit all kinds of ear shapes.
- These earplugs prevent swimmer’s ear so you can enjoy surfing without worrying about ear pain.
- Made of 100% hypoallergenic silicone, which means maximum comfort during prolonged use and no allergic reactions.
- Come with a removable lanyard so you don’t lose them if one falls out in the water as well as a carrying case for safekeeping.
- Some surfers say the security cord is too short, but this probably depends on the size of your neck and personal preference.
- Large 5-gallon capacity so your shower doesn’t have to be so short
- Designed to heat the water inside up to 110 degrees in under 3 hours so you have hot water as soon as you come out of the water
- Built with 4 ply material with a reflector panel and insulator panel to keep the water warm for longer
- Integrated toiletries pouch can hold your travel shampoo bottles, razor, and mirror
- The hose isn’t quite long enough, but this is what creates ideal pressure when using it, so not a deal breaker.
- 100% leather so you can carry your handy tools in style
- The fin key works with all popular fin systems
- Has a fin key, 2 screwdrivers, and a bottle opener so it’s handy to have around at all times
- It is made of steel and very robust so it won’t rust or wear easily
- Has a 1-year guarantee so you can exchange it if you have any problems
- If you drop it in the sea and don’t rinse it, it will rust, but this is easily prevented by rinsing the keyring.
- The fin puller saves your hands and protects your board by making fin installation super easy!
- No more ruined boards because of finicky keels that get stuck. This is a new tool which most surfers haven’t heard of- it works really well and is the BEST gift for an avid surfer
- Doesn’t work on some specific types of fins like Futures or Machado Quad Fins, but 90 % of users are over the moon with this product.
- Increased airflow from vented shoulder extensions means that your suit dries in record time!
- Drying your suit out more quickly extends the lifespan of your wetsuit.
- High-strength polymer construction means it won’t corrode or break under the weight of your wetsuit.
- It’s foldable at the touch of a button which makes travel easy and allows you to put the suit on it without stretching it out of shape
- If it breaks, the company will replace it no questions asked!
- The hook could have a longer neck since it is too short for hooded suits, but this isn’t a deal breaker.
- This changing mat keeps your wetsuit clean, which extends the life of your suit
- Tighten the drawstring around the mat as soon as you’ve removed the wet suit, and the mat becomes a dry bag to keep your car clean
- Made of lightweight waterproof, strong nylon which means increased durability and portability
- 30 day satisfaction guarantee so you can return it if it’s not quite what you were looking for
- Many reviews say the bag is a little hard to cary when a wet suit is in it, but that it works really well and is definitely worth the 20 bucks
- Winner of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Autobiography
- “Without a doubt, the finest surf book I’ve ever read . . . ” —The New York Times Magazine
- Although it is a very well written book, there are many descriptions of waves which, if you’re not a surfer, can be at bit much at times
- A very well written, funny book to keep you entertained
- over 500 pages and 250 rare surf photos perfect for a surfer’s coffee table
- Only talks about surf history in the US and Australia, but not a deal breaker
- Over 300 surf spots placed on the world map
- Some people didn’t like that it’s a little cartoonish, but I really like the style – to each his own
- Unique stretch design with a padded nose and a drawstring closure to protect your board from dings on the way to the beach
- Available in 8 sizes to fit different types of boards
- Nice velcro storage pocket inside the bag for snacks or wax stashing
- Great price
- Not as thick as some other board socks, but also not as expensive. These are perfect for keeping wax off your padded board bag if you slip this on before putting the board in the travel bag.
- Thick foam padding and heavy-duty tarpaulin/canvas outer layer means excellent protection when travelling with your board
- Fits all sizes of boards and has a velcro fin slot so you don’t need to remove the fin, it just hangs out
- A padded shoulder strap makes it more comfortable to carry the bag around
- White tarpaulins material protects the board from heat and water so the wax doesn’t melt on your board
- 30 day satisfaction guarantee
- None – people are really happy with the quality for the price
- Magnetic key holder is waterproof to withstand the elements so you can store your car key in safety while surfing
- Very strong magnets mean that the box sticks to the chassis under your car and doesn’t budge
- Lifetime warranty so you can return it if you ever have problems with it
- The box is only big enough for one key, so if your key is quite large it may not fit
- Full-sized 12×12 inch traction pad for a better grip on your board
- Super strong 3M adhesive means the pads won’t come off while your are surfing
- Soft on your knees if you wear boardshorts
- Great price
- 30 day satisfaction guarantee
- It seems that some surfers have found the middle piece of the traction pad to be too high for the arch of their foot, but this seems subjective to preference
- The padded wallet holds up to 3 fins with key so you know exactly where your gear is
- Solid zipper means it won’t break while traveling
- Only fits fins smaller than 8 inches, so depending on what type of fins you use, this may not be for you.
24. Board Wax
- This wax creates super sticky bumps on your board so you don’t fall off when you’re surfing
- Super price
- None! A great product that works well
- The Kit comes with a comb so you can remove the old wax or rough it up for your next session
- 100% biodegradable bag in case it ends up in the sea
- None, this product is a favorite and works great!
- Great way to fix small tears in neoprene wetsuits permanently
- Just cut the patch to size and use an iron to glue the heat-activated patch on
- Super easy to use
- Excellent for reinforcing wear and tear areas like elbows, and knees so you can extend the life of your wetsuit
- The patches are thin, but most people have found that if the tear is in a part of the suit which stretches a lot, using cement before placing the patch and adding a second patch on the inside of the suit works really well
Best Personalised Surfer Gifts – Novelty Items
- Incredibly crafted from leather and stainless steel so that your keychain never rusts
- Packed in a high-quality black gift box so your surfer gets really great packaging
- The personalized engraving is deeply etched in the heavy metal, and feels expensive and very satisfying
- This keychain comes from Germany and shipping can take up to 10 working days so make sure to order ahead of time
🌊 Get your Surfer Keychain here!
- Very cute clean cut personalized design so you can really surprise your surfer with your inside joke on a mug
- After-sale service is excellent in case you need to exchange it
- 2 to 3 day super fast shipping so you get your gift quickly
- None! Customers love this novelty gift
- Monogram the poncho for your surfer so they feel extra special in this summer towel
- Sand doesn´t stick to these towels which means less sand in the car
- Handwoven on a small handloom! Handmade from 100% natural cotton Turquish beach towel so the water is wicked away from your body quickly
- Free shipping on orders over 35$
- Since they are handmade they will shrink if they are washed in hot water, so make sure the machine is set to cold water
- This 31 cm diameter clock face always shows you whether the tide is coming in or out so you’re never guessing
- Handmade in France, it can be personalized by requesting an engraving of the hand with a town, date, or surf spot
- Each clock is sent in nice packaging, with set-up instructions to make it super easy for your surfer to set it up
- Fairly long delivery for North America, so you’ll need to order sooner
- In California and in the Gulf of Mexico, tides are diurnal or mixed, making tide clocks products inaccurate in these locations
- These unique boards are made of live edge olive wood so your surfer can bring nature into their home
- Easy to maintain board and clean due to the beautiful finishing of the wood and resin
- Must be hand washed, but to be expected with wooden hand-made items
- Gold or silver plated stainless steel chain with anti-tarnish finishing so your gift doesn’t change color over time
- Personalize the jewelry with an initial hand stamped on a disc on the very end of the extender chain for a special touch for your surfer
- Since it is plated, it will lose its original color over time so make sure to follow the care instructions to keep your bracelet looking lovely for longer
- Can be powered by 3 AAA batteries or by the power cable in case you have or don’t have a plug nearby.
- Engrave your surfer’s name so you have an extra special personalized gift
- According to reviews, the after-sale service is incredible
- Has one button control for modes and color choice so you can light up your space in the color of your choice
- None! It’s an all-around great gift!
- The 3 inches-wide handmade aluminum laser-cut material allows the ornament to be light and delicate in your surfer’s Christmas tree
- This company uses plastic-free packaging so you know you are helping the environment with this gift
- Super speedy shipping means this is a great last-minute gift
- None! After-sales service is very good and clients are pleased with their purchase
Best Gifts for Surfers with Dogs
- Fun surf theme makes for a really cute toy that dogs really love
- 3 squeeky toys fit in the plush van to Keep your dog busy for hours and keep boredom at bay
- Plush toy is soft on the gums for puppies and easy to throw in the wash
- Great price!
- The rubber does fade in the sun so make sure you bring it in after playtime
- the ball comes in different sizes so a bigger dog can’t swallow it
- It’s bright orange and floats so you can easily see it in the sea and on the sand
- The natural rubber is rugged and virtually indestructible so your dog won’t chew it apart while playing
- super well priced at 5 $ each
- The rubber does fade in the sun so make sure you bring it in after playtime
Best Surfing Gifts – Kids
- 120 pages of blank lined paper for the girl who loves to write or draw
- None! It’s cheap and cheerful and really cute
- 3in1 construction toy – Rebuilds into a Lifeguard Tower with quad bike or Beach Buggy
- The side of the van swings open so the interior furnishing can be played with
- Perfect for kids between the ages of 8 and 12
- It’s a little expensive at over 80 $, but the creator series are usually played with for longer since they build more than just one thing
- Ideal for surfers in training! It works equilibrium and helps to get the ants out of their pants!
- Made of solid wood, this Montessori toy grows with kids and becomes anything their imagination can create as they age
- It’s quite slippery with socks on, but this isn’t a deal breaker
How to choose the best presents for surfers?
When choosing a gift for a surfer, it is important to think about what they might need or want while they are out on the waves. Read on to find out what I consider when choosing a gift for my surfers.
- What kind of surfing do they enjoy? Wave riding, body boarding, longboarding, SUP, etc. Different accessories, apparel, and gadgets are used with the different types of boards so this is an important factor to consider when making a decision.
- What type of conditions do they usually surf in? Whether your surfer is out riding the waves in warm water or cold water, you’ll want to gift them with something to cool them down or warm them up. You’ll also want to get them some surfing sunscreen to keep them protected.
- How often do they surf? If you’ve got a very frequent surfer, you might want to renew something they already love and is threadbare, or get them a hardy gadget that with withstand the test of repeated and frequent dunks in the sea.
On the other hand, someone who travels to a surf camp to surf once a year would need something more like a novelty gift to remind them of how much they loved that incredible trip they made. You probably also won’t want to spend a fortune on something used once a year.
- How skilled are they? We tend to spend a little more on high-quality and luxury goods once we get out of the beginner sandbox. Also, a more advanced surfer is one that knows what kind of equipment and technical gadgets they would love to have.
With an advanced surfer, you may want to go down to the surf shop and browse with them to find out what they need/want/are eyeing. A beginner would just love it all!
- Do they travel to surf? Traveling brings about a whole slew of restraints which usually involve size and portability. Do they drive to the surf spot, or walk? Will they have to carry the board far? How protected does it need to be? Do they go on an international surf trip several times a year to get their fix?
Once you have an idea of what your surfer enjoys doing, where they love to do it, and what they might need, it becomes easier to choose the perfect gift. For example, if your dad loves longboarding in warm weather, then you might want to buy him a new pair of floating shades or a cool traction pad for his board.
Alternatively, if your niece just started surfing on her last trip to Portugal, you could get her a surf bikini and a surf book, or a personalized Christmas surf ornament with the year she started surfing.
Best Gifts for Surfers FAQ
What do you buy a surfer friend?
The best gifts for surfers depend on their individual needs, wants, and style. Luxury items like custom surfboards or surfing watches are great for experienced surfers who want to take their skills to the next level. Or why not buy them a nice piece of jewelry? There are many beautiful pieces out there that would make perfect surf gifts.
Budget-friendly options such as rash guards and board shorts also make great gifts, while personalized items like coffee mugs, surf ornaments, and engraved surfboard fins are perfect for beginner surfers.
And finally, don’t forget Fido – many surfers take their best friend along on trips to the beach, so there are plenty of great gift options for dogs too! No matter what you choose, your surfer friend will appreciate the thought behind it!
What does a beginner surfer need?
A beginner surfer needs a surfboard, wetsuit, and a leash. A surfboard is the most important piece of equipment for a surfer. It is what you use to ride the waves.
A wet suit keeps you warm in the water. A leash attaches your surfboard to your ankle so it doesn’t get away from you.
Besides this, there are some really nice novelty gifts to get them to feel like they are part of the surfing community, like surf books, or a surf map of the world to encourage future surf trips.
What should I get my surfer girlfriend?
Surfers love the ocean and everything about it, so a great gift for a surfer girlfriend is something that celebrates her passion.
Surf-themed jewelry, artwork or clothing are all popular gifts, but you can also get creative and personalize an item to reflect her personality.
If you’re on a budget, consider giving her a gift certificate to her favorite surf shop or beachfront restaurant.
Luxury items like designer sunglasses or a beach cruiser bike make great splurges, but whatever you choose, make sure it conveys how much you appreciate her love of surfing.
Best Surfing Gifts: The Wrap Up
When it comes to finding the best gifts for a surfer friend, there are plenty of great options to choose from. Whether you’re looking for a luxury item or a budget-friendly option that won’t break the bank, we’ve got you covered. So whatever type of surfer present you’re looking for, we hope this article has given you some inspiration.